Saturday, October 29, 2011

Friendship Chronicles: Fernando Cota Edition

I guess the saying "opposites attract" applies in more ways than just with girls. I am talking about the type of friendship that brings a person in your life that sometimes makes you ask yourself "how did we even become friends?... in a good way. Allow me to introduce my good friend Fernando Cota or Fern, as he goes to most.

I met Fernando during my freshmen year of college. It wasn't until my sophomore year at Southwestern College though, that Fern and I became really good friends. Fern was my accountability partner through this lame version of mens group that some students were putting on. I can honestly say that his friendship was the only real solid thing that came from that "Barbarian way/Wild at Heart" mens group.  

Fern and my friendship is based largely on opposites and balance. He is the quiet friend that I need in my life to call me out when I am being ridiculous. He is the friend that can make me laugh with only a few words. Like I said, he has a very dry sense of humor but is solid none the less. We also work in the same Jr. High ministry at North Ridge Community Church. He came on staff when I became the Jr. high pastor and it has been a blessing watching him grow and mature as he ministers to Jr. High students. Fern's friendship is the type that produces good character in both of us. We can bring anything to the table no matter how tough the conversation is, we both will walk away sharper and better off. Fern is the type of friend that will probably be sitting with me on the porch with our future wives as we watch the sunset. Until then, we are having a great time just being bachelors 'til the rapture.

Fern has one of the driest sense of humors, he is a man of few words. However, when he does talk it's one of three things: One, something thoughtful and profound; two, something sarcastic and hilarious, or three, something thats going to poke fun of me. Fern is the classic middle child where he likes to chill below the radar but isn't a guy you would forget when you meet him. Fern is studying to get his masters and is pursuing the idea of going into ministry with some sort of counseling involved. He also slaps the bass pretty darn well! 

Random Facts about Fern:
- He plays the Saxophone. Thats just classy. 
- He drives a Jeep and is a firm believer in the "Jeep to Jeep wave".
- He is solid bass player.
- He is single, Ladies...


0 comments:

Post a Comment